Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Marriage-is it really worth it?

Lately, this marriage bug has been disturbing me quite a lot. Being the eldest of three sisters, my retired father and homemaker mother are hell bent on my traditional “vidaai”, the sooner, the better.

In the past, a lot of fight and tears have been devoted to this subject, quite a useless one from my point of view. What my parents fail to understand is that why should I tie the knot at all…but all my queries and reasonings have led to naught. My parents want social security for me via the route of marriage.

I, on the other hand, want to have my own say when I decide this question of utmost importance. I don’t want to be rushed into doing things. It’s true that I need a companion but can my parents assure that marriage would give me that? No, they can’t.

Another thing that bugs me is the freedom of my own identity. I want to be known as myself, not as someone’s daughter, sister or wife. Would tying the knot ensure my freedom of choice? Again, no answers!!

So, till I figure out the answers to these questions, wedding bells can wait.

2 comments:

Madhu sudan sharma said...

very true

Madhu

Vivek Keserwani said...

Hi Sonali, I wish that u get married, and u should because at one point of time in your life you will miss someone to share your deepest feelings, and you might need emotional support. So go ahead, find a person of your choice and get married. Have you heard the saying... shaadi ka laddoo jo khaye to pachtaye, na khaye to bhi pachtaye... so why not get married?