Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Contemporary Indian Short Stories in English

This book published by the Sahitya Academy and compiled by Shiv K. Kumar is a compilation of 24 short stories by eminent Indian writers (including some lesser known authors, as well). Each of the stories is rooted in Indianness and is unique in its own style. In brief, the book presents a collage of contemporary India, its values and culture, albeit in a language that some still feel is an alien in this land.

Though it is difficult to pick the best of the lot, I do have my favorites in this book. Some stories that I loved are (in their order of appearance) The Betrayal by Sujatha Balasubramaniam, The eyes are not here by Ruskin Bond, To nun with love (yes, the title reminded me of the much loved story To sir, with Love penned by E.R.Braithwaite) by Shiv K. Kumar, A Pinch of Snuff by Manohar Malgaonkar, Absolution by Dina Mehta and Green Sari by R.K.Narayan. Khuswant Singh is at his raunchiest best in The Bottom Pincher. The stories that I disliked and was quite bored to read are A Fable by Raja Rao, Martand by Nayantara Sehgal, Letters/4, 5 and 6 by Anita Mehta and Not to be loose shunted by Ashok Srinivasan (this last one totally went above my head).

All-in-all, getting to read so many different author's work under the same cover was an interesting thing to do in order to overcome my otherwise bored holidays.

3 comments:

sanchita said...

Ths short stories of Ruskin Bond have always been very interesting to me. I remember having read "The woman on platform no. 8" when I was in school and I was immensely touched by the sensitivity of it. Now, the story "The eyes are not here" seem to be nice and touching as well. M looking forward to go through it soon.

Doell said...

It sounds interesting.....Looking forward to get it :)

dhiman said...

abar pora shuru korte hobe dekhchi..